[CentOS] Sarah: RHSA tracking tool

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Fri Jun 24 22:32:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm working on a RHSA tracking tool, named Sarah. It allows you to build a
local RHSA database of different RHEL releases and then allows you to
verify systems for compliance (and lists applicable RHSA and required
packages).

But before releasing my prototype, I would like to know what requirements
people have. How they would be using such a tool and what for reports they
need to extract.

My main reason for writing such a tool is to automate reports to send out
to customers for getting approval for updates during planned maintenance.
My aim is to list the risk and information based on information provided
by Red Hat.

Another use case would be to send out emails either when new RHSAs are
released or updates are made to existing RHSAs or sending out daily or
weekly mails for systems that are lacking certain security updates.

I bet other people have other requirements, so I like to hear about those.

PS You may wonder what it offers on top on RHN. In fact it doesn't offer
much more than RHN already provides. But in our environment, we don't have
RHN access for our systems (some of them are not even connected to the
Internet) and security policy does not allow this anyway.

Plus a CLI tool that is able to access and process this information allows
for some specialized use that RHN may not provide. Bright ideas are
welcomed.

Kind regards,