[CentOS] [OT] Memory Models and Multi/Virtual-Cores -- WAS: 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Jun 25 20:34:32 UTC 2005

On Saturday 25 June 2005 15:53, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Most of the situations where I would use them involve some disk update
> activity but much more reading, so what really interests me is how well
> a huge amount of memory works as a disk buffer to avoid doing heavy
> physical I/O.
Then the first AnandTech benchmark article
(http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2447) is exactly what you want to
look at. Huge amount of memory (when compared to the size of the database
running on the system) on a 64bit linux kernel...
We're doing the same for one of our apps called IPM. Its a PHP app running
against a quad opteron with 16GB ram. Heavy on network IO (during business
hours its rare that we don't saturate the main 100mbit link)  but little disk
activity. DB size is about 2.5GB and we end up with a couple of gig for disk
buffers. CentOS4 of course... anything specific you're looking for?

Peter.