[CentOS] OT: question on setting up an email server

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Mon Jun 27 07:42:13 UTC 2005

alex at milivojevic.org wrote:
> Quoting Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>:
>
>> When does a newbie gets a monster box to play with?
>

> 4 gigs of memory isn't as expensive as it used to be.  Not that cheap
> that I
> would put 4 gigs into any of the computers in my basement.  But not that
> expensive either.  Complete AMD64 system is not that much more expensive
> then
> P4 system (other then processor and motherboard, all other components are
> exactly the same).  So I'd say wast majority of newbies from rotten rich
> west
> can financialy afford a "monster box to play with".
>
>> DJB has already stated a long time ago that this should be done by the
>> OS or available tools.
>

> Whatever way you put it, the following is buggy code:
>
>   int foo;
>   int *bar;
>   foo = bar;

If you are referring to the 'problem #2 is exploitable at least on
freebsd 5.4 amd64' code, it does not do anything of the sort.

int i;
i = str_chr(cmd.s,' ');
cmd.s[i] = 0;

str_chr returns 'unsigned int' not a pointer.

> Yelling that limits were supposed to be setup on the system for your
> particular
> program so that bar always fits into foo is not going to save you from
> the fact
> that your programming practices were flawed!  The above code fragment is
> probably the biggest single problem with many programs when Alpha
> processors
> were introduced.  And now we see it again.
>
> Now I don't know if that "bug" in qmail fits the above description
> exactly, but
> I'm preaty darn sure it is something equivalent.

Why don't you look before you yammer.

If you did a compile of qmail, you will NEVER find any warnings about
'warning: assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast'

>>> After all, there's that famous quote from Bill Gates: "640K ought to be
>>> enough for anybody".  Who knows, maybe one day we'll be quoting qmail
>>> author instead: "32 bits ought to be enough for anybody".
>>

>> I highly doubt it since he said nothing of the sort.
>

> I haven't said he did.  It was a joke

:)