[CentOS] sendmail and spamassassin

James B. Byrne

ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Mon Jun 27 16:55:53 UTC 2005

I have a problem getting spamd and sendmail (both stock CentOS4 rpms)
to work together on a couple of smtp relay machines.  This is clearly
a configuration issue and no doubt revolves around my lack of
comprehension of how this is to work.

Basically, the setup consists of two frontend public smtp transports
that redirect all email through a firewall to an internal imap server
for final delivery.  The firewall and sendmail access map prohibit
connections to the imap server except for the local MX gateway.  The
external MX gateway is a fallback mx server that routes everything it
queues through the primary gateway.

So:

MX 2 routes to MX 1 that routes to IMAP

MX 2 and MX 1 are running spamd.

the sendmail.m4 file has the following at its very end:

dnl #
dnl # MAILERs are always last after all FEATURES are defined
MAILER(smtp)dnl
MAILER(procmail)dnl

The contents of /etc/procmailrc are:

:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

Spamd is running on both.

There is a local configuration rule set in
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

Passing a test message through spamc on MX 1 or MX 2 does not seem to
pick up this rule even for messages constructed to trigger it.
Passing spam messages through spamc -R identifies messages that have
passed through the relays without any spam tags as being high scoring
spam.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Jim

--

***     e-mail is NOT a secure channel     ***
James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB.<token>@Harte-Lyne.ca