[CentOS] Directory Server for CentOS 4.1

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 21:18:41 UTC 2005

> The plan for Directory Server for CentOS-4 is to port RedHat Directory
> Server (and not Fedora Directory Server) when it is released for RHEL.
> That should happen when RedHat thinks it is stable for production in the
> enterprise ... I would assume that they will charge for it like they do
> for RHGFS/RHCS when they feel they have it stable.

I thought that have been doing that since the AOL deal last year?
It had been available on the RHN for awhile, in the unchanged/original form.

Unless I was mistaken, the deal was that AOL would allow Red Hat to
GPL it after an undisclosed number of sales had occurred _or_ by April 30,
2005, whichever came first.

The new FDS and RHDS releases are just more updated/integrated releases
with the Red Hat product line.  E.g., more integrated SASL/Kerberos
integration with Red Hat's offerings out-of-the-box.  Previously there was
a lot of post-install work to get Kerberos working via GSSAPI.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org