[CentOS] Re: 32/48-bit virtual addressing in 20/32/36/52-bit physical addressing -- WAS: Memory Models and Multi/Virtual-Cores

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jun 29 04:44:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 00:14 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> I was simply wondering if you were referring to the long modes as defined by
> AMD

There are several "Long Modes" -- some are not yet implemented.

> or if that was yet another unknown concept - maybe you should use the
> acronymes as the manufacturers do instead of inventing your own :-)
> keeps you from having to type long emails like this :-)

Dude, I'm _not_ the only person who refers to it as PAE52 or PAE 52-bit.

AMD and Intel _both_ refer to both PAE 52-bit and PAE 32-bit as just
"PAE" for short, because the bit that enables it is the same.

Some just like to differentiate.  I do.  I'm not the only one either.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->