[CentOS] boot failure after install

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Wed Jun 29 14:50:04 UTC 2005

> Grub does not write to the mirror drive ... which can cause issues.  It
> is recommended that you do a grub install (or Peter's solution) on both
> drives on your first reboot after a software mirror install. (Or put
> something in your ks file to do it post isntall for kickstart).

Provided /boot is (hd0,0) and (hd1,0).  Edit if different, or if /boot is not
separate partition.  My mail reader is probably going to wrap around install
commands.  The install commands should be one long line each.  So you should
have three lines between "grub" and "EOF": "install", "install", "quit".  Join
the lines if displayed differently.

echo "Fixing GRUB (check /var/log/grubfix.log for errors)"
grep -v 'root (' /boot/grub/grub.conf > /boot/grub/newgrub.conf
mv -f /boot/grub/newgrub.conf /boot/grub/grub.conf
grub --batch <<EOF >/var/log/grubfix.log 2>&1
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0,0)/grub/stage1 (hd0)
(hd0,0)/grub/stage2
p (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd1,0)/grub/stage1 (hd1)
(hd1,0)/grub/stage2
p (hd1,0)/grub/grub.conf
quit
EOF