[CentOS] Kickstart-based Install, editing comps.xml, hdlist/hdlist2

dan.trainor

dan.trainor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 23:42:34 UTC 2005

Hello, all -

I've been throwing the question around on the kickstart-list for the
last few days here, and can't quite get ahold of things.  Please, allow
me to explain.

I am in the process of making a custom CentOS/RHEL kickstart install.
It works well right now; however, it's a hackjob, and I am not
comfortable with it as of yet.

For the past few days, I've even gone as far as making a custom
comps.xml file, for the purpose of the kickstart.  What I'd like to do
is not include any @groups or -/+files in my kickstart file; rather, I'd
like to edit comps.xml's @Base and @Core so that I need nothing else in
my kickstart file, except for the configuration options.  I know that
this isn't required, I'm just anal about the whole situation ;)

This would also give me a chance to package, along with my install,
newer and updated packages/RPMs so that I don't have to run an update
process on the newly installed machine.  My understanding is, if this is
done, a new base/hdlist{2} file{s} is/are needed to be created.  I've
read around a bit, and apparently I'm supposed to use a tool named
"genhdlist", but I've not been able to find any documentation on this
tool, what exactly it does, and how exactly to use it.

I'm expressing my frustration, along with many other people who have
been in the same situation, as seen from the kickstart-list.

I guess what I'm asking for, is if someone has ever made a completely
custom kickstart install that does the following:

1) edits comps.xml to modify @base and @core
2) takes newer packages into consideration
3) compiles this information, creates new hdlist{2} reference files
4) gets the mother to work.

This seemingly simple process seems to lack a bit of documentation.  I
ahve found sniplets all over the 'net where it would show a small
process of how to get all this done, however, the author fails to
document the utility or method in detail, or the process is for
something totally archaic such as RH6.2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-dant