[CentOS] Re: Software RAID muck up

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 19:39:46 UTC 2005

From: Dan Pritts <danno at internet2.edu>
> I just looked at that a few weeks ago - it doesn't seem to have reached
> critical mass.  Would sure be nice.

Oh, it _has_ reached "critical mass" among a lot of embedded and
application-specific capabilities.

But like most distribution channel issues, you can be sure that AMI,
Phoenix and others are fighting it quite hard.  Even Intel's so-called
"open" initiatives are still in the "tight knit group" of BIOS vendors.

And Microsoft would love nothing more than to make it impossible
to access system configuration outside of Windows, Windows systems
unable to boot be damned.  Most hardware vendors are _also_ more
than happy to see this, because they can start tying hardware to
specific Windows versions.

Hence the entire "superstore" hardware/distribution issue that will
always plague Linux and partnerships to create Linux drivers.

> heck, i'd settle for getting serial-bios capability out of commodity
> motherboards.  "server" systems (and maybe high-end "workstation"
> motherboards) have it but things like the via c3 boxes i have posted
> about before generally don't.

I'm waiting to see what Apple cooks up.  They won't share it, but
it will possibly create enough stir to change the industry in general.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org