[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU -- "build" is not a good CPU benchmark

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Jun 30 23:18:13 UTC 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 18:08, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> From: Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>
>
> > Compiles aren't a great benchmark for a box since its 100% cpu and
> > neglects memory or disk performance but I had the numbers handy
> > for that :-)
>
> BTW, it is 100% ALU and a major strain on the ALU LOAD.
> In other words, it's not a good benchmark for even CPU.
>
> That's why the 3-issue ALU in the Nx586 on-ward blows the 2-issue
> ALU in PPro on-ward (especially the P4) to crap.
>
> But that's all besides the point because it has _0_ to do with
> server performance period, even computationally intensive.
*yawns* aren't you tired of always posting about off taking things out of
context?

Anyway, the other stuff I mentioned didn't count either, right?
What does count? Go out there and look for yourself... 95% of all benchmarks,
a Athlon64 is gonna outperform a E4500 for the same price - and that's the
point I originally wanted to make...

Let me guess, a benchmark is only valid if it supports your point of view and
I knelt and preyed in your direction before running it?

Peter.