[CentOS] A questiong about replacing my failing drive

Sat Jun 11 20:48:57 UTC 2005
Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 01:08:56PM -0400, Doug Eubanks wrote:
>
>>First, I am not a RedHat or linux newbie. I simply have not had to do what I am
>>getting ready to do, and I want to see if I am going to run into a problems...
>>My HDA drive is failing (I can hear the occasional click from it and I am
>>seeing Smart errors, the transfer rate is slow but all my data is there). I
>>have 3 partitions on it, the /, /boot/ and my game servers (this is also the
>>drive the bootloader is on). Will this proceedure work ok to replace it with
>>the minimum of downtime/reinstalling A> Make bootable floppy B> Start in single
>>user mode C> Create same partition structure on hew drive D> Move all files
>>from old partitions to new partitions E> Switch drives F> Boot off floppy,
>>mount, reinstall grub and boot manager on new drive G> Profit! Any hangups or
>>snags doing it this way? Thanks, Doug Eubanks doug at simflex.com
>

> I would like to suggest using dump/restore to make the backup.
>
> Something like:
>
> mount /dev/hdb1 /newroot
> dump -0f - / | (cd /newroot; restore -xf -)
>
> []s

why not just use Norton Ghost and ghost an image of the current drive to
a new drive, boot with the CentOS rescue CD, reinstall grub and you're
done! definitely the easiest way I can think of.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996