[CentOS] Mailscanner and Postfix

Wed Mar 30 12:51:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 11:10 +0100, Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> I have just followed Johnny Hughes' excellent walk-through on how to install
> Postfix, MailScanner with ClamAV and Spamassassin and it seems to be running
> fine during in house testing, but I want to make sure that it behaves itself
> when it goes live serving about 250 users; I have read comments elsewhere
> both for and against the use of Mailscanner with Postfix, and when I
> mentioned the subject on the Postfix group I was informed I *WILL* have mail
> dupes and missing mail so can I have some observations from people using
> this setup with Centos (3.3).

I use this method, and have no problems on CentOS-3.4 and CentOS-4.0 on
several installs.

But, there is a new way to setup PostFix that doesn't require 2
instances of it running.

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml

I have not yet done the installation using that method, but I will try
to do so soon and if it works correctly, update the howto.

> Also, is there a good follow up to JH's article about using that
> configuration with virtual mailboxes or is it easy to take the setup as
> outlined and 'convert' it to use them? I'm on a steep learning curve as I
> pull myself away from the M$ camp!

This does basic virtual mailboxes

http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html#virtual_mailbox

I would like to do this via a form and to a MYSQL database ... if I have
time:
http://www.postfix.org/MYSQL_README.html

(but the version of postfix produced by RHEL {and thus CentOS} does not
have MySQL support ... so the postfix package would have to be re-done
as a contrib package)

I want to do this to my main server ... but I am not sure when I will
have time to install and test it.