[CentOS] Re: centos] DHCPd Config

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Mar 30 20:30:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Joao Medeiros wrote:

> I've read a number of articles, googled the web for a few months and
> now attempting at turning my CentOS box into a gateway for the third
> time. Configured my dhcpd.conf and other related files and all seems
> to be working, I can have my M$ desktop leasing an ip address and all.
>
> The problem is when I want to go out to the internet I keep on getting
> the Request Timed out error.

sounds like you did not add a proper default route, or there
is a deeper netmask issue.

File should look something like this (I have trimmed lots
out):

[herrold at ftp etc]$ grep -v ^# dhcpd.conf
ddns-update-style none ;
server-identifier ftp.eleven.lan ;
option domain-name-servers 10.16.11.253, 66.195.224.112 ;
option time-offset 300;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 14400;
option option-128 code 128 = string;
option option-129 code 129 = text;
shared-network ELEVEN-LAN {
option routers 10.16.11.1; # router being our router;
option domain-name "eleven.lan";
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
allow booting;
allow bootp;
  subnet 10.16.11.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   pool {
    range 172.16.11.2 172.16.11.98 ;
    authoritative ;
    allow unknown-clients;