[CentOS] New kernel causes kernel panic/unable to mount root

Matt Dainty matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Fri May 6 15:21:57 UTC 2005

* Martyn Drake <martyn at drake.org.uk> [2005-05-06 16:12:48]:
> Martyn Drake wrote on 06 May 2005 15:49:
>
> > Martyn Drake wrote on 06 May 2005 15:45:
> >
> >> I've just moved over to an Opteron 246 dedicated server and have used
> >> up2date to install the latest kernel (2.4.21-27.0.4.Elsmp).  However,
> >> when the machine reboots it never comes back up and according to the
> >> datacentre technicians, this is what's happening:
> >>
> >> VFS: Cannot open root device"806" or 08:06
> >> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> >> Kernel Panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:06
> >
> > This is, of course, using CentOS 3.4 and is the 32-bit version.
>
> As a matter of interest, is there support for the Silicon Image SiI 3114
> SATA controller within CentOS?  The datacentre isn't sure whether it was a
> third party driver or not, and having not dealt with this chipset myself
> before, I'm not too sure either.

If it was, it sounds like you need to install that driver and rebuild
the initrd for the newer kernel.

Check /etc/mod(ules|probe).conf for an "alias scsi_hostadapter ..."
line. You should be able to find the module referenced in the
/lib/modules directory of the old kernel, if it doesn't exist in the
modules directory of the new kernel, it's walked somehow, I don't think
it would be removed from a newer kernel update.

There's a sata_sil module, not sure if that covers the 3114 or just the
3112 (?) chips.

Matt
--
"The theory of Space and Time is a cultural artefact made possible by
the invention of graph paper."