[CentOS] problem with swap and upgrade to 4 from 3.3

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri May 6 21:58:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005 at 9:03am, Daniel J. Cody wrote

> Hey Peter,

> > I guess I could set the swap back to an unmirrored set, run the upgrade
> > from the CDs then mirror it again, but this is not ideal, does anyone
> > have any suggestions as to how to fix this little RAID niggle with the
> > swap caused by not RAIDing the swap parition originally on install?
>
> I wouldn't personally recommend using software raid on swap partitions
> since it causes all sorts of problems like you're describing. If you
> want to get raid type performance from your swap partitions, I'd suggest
> just letting the kernel itself handle that.

The main purpose of putting swap on a mirrored array is not performance.
It allows the system to stay up and running should a disk fail.  Mirroring
the system disk is pretty much pointless if the system is going to die
upon losing a disk anyway b/c half the swap is now gone.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering