[CentOS] URGENT: Problems with Dell raid on CentOS 4?

Nikos Zaharioudakis nzahar at gmail.com
Sat May 7 08:11:13 UTC 2005

Unfortunately the "Raid controller " that the hardware  says that
comes with, uses a software driver in order to perform the raid
functions. So to make the long story short just use the OS soft raid
functionality

Have fun.
Good day

Nikos

On 5/7/05, Jonathan <j at firebright.com> wrote:

> Good morning.  I'm hoping someone is still up who can lend me an ear.
> I'm sitting on the floor of Mae West surrounded by disassembled servers,
> frustrated out of my mind.  Same as last weekend. ;-)
>
> Actually, I'm having a weird issue.  I have a Dell 420SC in front of
> me.  It's a fine machine, brand new.  p4 2.8 800Mhz bus, 1GB DDR2
> (2x512) and dual 80GB drives.  I've used the onboard raid to build a
> raid-0+1 (mirror) raid array.  The problem is, it's telling me as soon
> as I load up the setup for CentOS 4 that no drives are available and
> that I should load up some.
>
> Odd.
>
> I have three machines running CentOS 4 over here with the identical
> specs, and identical settings.  One even has the exact same
> configuration, including raid setup, and it's running happily.  But it
> was installed from and older CentOS 4 disk (got scratched).  I've got
> about 12 more to do tonight.  How is it possible that the same machine
> with concurrent serial numbers won't load RAID?  Is there some trick?
>
> I'm really at a loss on this one.  I'm on the 14th floor.  Now if I
> could get one of these windows to open, I think I have a very easy
> solution...
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?  Is there some trick to getting
> these 420SC's to load CentOS?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jonathan

Zaharioudakis Nikos
mob: +30 6947204063
USE THE BEST . . .

Linux for servers . . .

       Macintosh for graphics . . .

             Palm for mobility . . .

                   Windows for solitaire!
If speed kills, then Windows Users may live forever