[CentOS] X stopped working after compiling new kernel

Ryan Lane ryanlane at gmail.com
Sat May 7 19:10:25 UTC 2005

On 5/7/05, first last <prelude_2_murder at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I installed it and got everything working alright, apart from the
> wireless network card. I need to use ndiswrapper and so require a newer
> kernel (2.4.26 at least), so I downloaded the kernel source 2.4.30,
> copied the right configuration (config-i686), made oldconfig and
> installed the kernel.
>
> Everything boots alright but X complaints about invalid checksum in the
> video bios. Searching for this error message it mentions that I should
> enable agpgart and support for my card (i852 or so) in the kernel, but
> it is already supported (I have tried it as a module and compiled right
> in).
>
> Anyone got any suggestions on how to get X working again? Do I need to
> get any extra RHEL patches before I can compile the code?

Yeah, the reason this doesn't work is because CentOS 3 requires NPTL
support in the kernel.  A stock 2.4 kernel doesn't support this (RH
backported NPTL into their 2.4 kernel).  You would either need to
patch the 2.4.30 kernel w/ the NPTL patches (not sure how plausible
this is), or compile your own stock 2.6 kernel (this is doable but not
trivial on CentOS 3).  Search around the forums of the list archives
for pointers on running a 2.6 kernel on CentOS 3 if you are
interested.

-Ryan