[CentOS] newer ZLIB and ZLIB-DEVEL

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Sun May 8 16:23:26 UTC 2005

-}Behalf Of Johnny Hughes
-}Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 9:07 AM
-}Do you really need 1.2.2 or just the latest security patches ... if you
-}must really have 1.2.2 or greater, you should probably download the
-}latest SRPM from the Fedora Rawhide project (it, or an RPM like it, will
-}be in newer versions of RHEL and FC).

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/zlib-1.
2.2.2-3.src.rpm

-}Then use it to make zlib and zlib-devel on your platform.  I just
-}verified that it builds on CentOS-3.4 and 4.0 with the command:
-}
-}rpmbuild --rebuild zlib-1.2.2.2-3.src.rpm
-}
-}(must have gcc, make, rpm-build as a minimum installed on the
-}machine ... maybe some other packages)
-}
-}I can provide those files for daonload if you can't get them to
-}build ... are you on CentOS-3.x or CentOS-4.x.
-}

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am on CentOS 4 and this is in relation to the security fix. So I really
need 1.2.2: or later as when I do a "configure" for clamav-0.84 it complains
about zlib and directs me to www.zlib.net

now, it did that on clamav-0.83 yet it still allowed the "configure" to
finish yet with clamav-0.84 it dies and i had to insert an

--disable-zlib-vcheck

to get it to finish the configure.

this is a pre-production install so although it is "on the net" it isnt
"live" so to speak and i have a window this week to get it "live".

all i need is to be able to get it up now and when the fix comes from the
upstream i would prefer that it would see *IT* and update to that via YUM no
matter what i do now.

suggestions so i do not have to remember bunches of little tweaks?

Regards,

 - rh