[CentOS] ACLs iin Centos 4

Mon May 9 15:36:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 14:51 +0200, Allison Maury wrote:
> >> I've understood that XFS is a great filesystem and would like to use
> >> it for our 2 file servers.  As I'm new to linux administration, I was
> >> planning to purchase SUSE to have the XFS filesystem supported for
> >> these two machines.  But, I really like the Centos distro and
> >> community.  So, I'm wondering, how hard would it be for me to get
> >> this working and to maintain it.  Is it complicated to recompile the
> >> Centos 4 kernel to enable it?  And, what sort of upkeep is necessary
> >> as updates become available?  I'd appreciate any general and specific
> >> information on what's involved to get XFS enabled on Centos 4.
> >>
> > Unless you specifically need a feature of XFS that's unavailable in
> > EXT3, you might want to stick with the "standard" journalled file
> > system since you are "new to linux administration."  I have never
> > played with XFS or Reiserfs so I can't comment on their merits, but I
> > can comment that EXT3 has been bulletproof for me on many file server
> > installs.  And being a lazy creature of habit, I've not felt the need
> > to rock the boat.  8-)
> >
> I've heard that it can take a very long time to get an EXT3 system back
> online after a file system crash; whereas, XFS provides rapid recovery
> from system crashes.  Since we mirror the two file servers (each have an
> attachment with 2 TB of data), I'm more interested in being able to get
> back online quickly.  Have you had any file system crashes and if so,
> how long did it take you to get back up?
It can take quite a long time to get an ext2 file system online after a
crash ... it's not the same for ext3 since it is journalized, and
normally after power loss under load it recovers fine (most of the time
without even needing to run fsck).

That being said, I am working on a kernel that has reiserfs and xfs
enabled and reiserfs and xfs tools (and many other things ... firewire
support, bttv turned on, etc.) ... hopefully by tomorrow they will be in
the centosplus repo for i386 and x86_64 and called kernel-unsupported.
It will be different than the kernel-unsupported for CentOS-3, in that
it will be a stand-alone kernel and not an add on package.