[CentOS] Kernel bug in software RAID?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:46:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 10:46, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 08:39 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >
> > > If you can define the specific bug and a fix, I would be happy to
> > > produce a test kernel with the fix included ... or provide you with a
> > > test kernel from what will become CentOS-4.1 (currently in internal
> > > testing).
> >
> > Since we are at kernel bugs, is fix for bug #151284 (NFS data corruption
> > when mmap is used) included in 4.1?
> >

> In the beta kernel there are these fixes listed for mmap in the
> changelog ... (151284 is not listed):
>
> - Fix possible futex mmap_sem deadlock
> - Add the flex-mmap bits for s390/s390x (Pete Zaitcev)
> - Add flex-mmap for x86-64 32 bit emulation
>
> There may be a newer kernel though ... this one is kernel-2.6.9-6.37.EL.

I've run into something that might or might not be the same RAID
bug in FC3, kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3.  I am trying to use software RAID1
to mirror an internal IDE with a matching partition on an external
firewire drive.  If I unmount the /dev/md? partiton so it stays idle
I can usually make it through a full sync to the firewire drive but
with the partition mounted the system will usually crash before the sync
is complete.  Also, if the partition is mounted after the sync completes
it has never run more than a day without crashing.  So far I have not
found any useful diagnostics logged anywhere.  The filesystem involved
is resierfs in case that might make a difference.  Obviously I haven't
tried this under Centos yet since neither firewire nor reiserfs are
supported, but the bug may really be in the raid code.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com