[CentOS] bind and caching-nameserver

Patrick Lawrence - CentOS Lists xxagGxOGLGlkHPZkvyxc at patsoffice.com
Tue May 10 06:04:52 UTC 2005

> i was thinking if is it possible to cache some urls in bind?

As somebody else said, BIND doesn't cache URLs, but I suspect you are
asking if it will cache zones.  Yes, it will.

> I just
> want to do when you send the command "ping domain.com" even if you are
> disconnected to the internet it will still resolve the ip of
> domain.com

Sure.  It will keep it as long as the SOA in the zone tells it to live.
For most zones, this is one day.

So, if you run a local caching nameserver and put 127.0.0.1 in
your /etc/resolv.conf file it should be cached even if you are off-line.

Regards,

Pat
--
                        "Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer