[CentOS] alias keeps changing (fwd)

Maciej Zenczykowski

maze at cela.pl
Tue May 10 10:46:39 UTC 2005

I'd suggest looking around the ifcfg-eth* files (somewhere in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I think) nad commenting out HWADDR= lines, if
that works, then try reversing the HWADDR lines - this will reverse the numbers
of the ethernet cards (ie making eth0 eth1 and eth1 eth0) but should result in
a stable configuration till next hardware change.

And you problem? IMHO, when the system boots up, one card gets the name eth0,
the other eth1, when checking HWADDR the first eth0 card matches the ifcfg-eth1
HWADDR MAC address and is thus renamed to eth1, which fails, since eth1 already
exists, and thus gets a random name, while the second eth1 matches the
ifcfg-eth0 HWADDR MAC address and is thus renamed to eth0.  In the end the
physical eth1 is eth0 and the physical eth0 gets a random dev* name.  This
should probably be fixed sometime... first rename all devices to random names
and only afterwards rename then to eth* according to the configuration files.

Cheers,
MaZe.

PS. alternatively you can open the case and switch the two network cards,
they'll be detected in reverse order and the previous renaming problem
should vanish.