[CentOS] Hardware RAID Controller

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Tue May 10 18:53:28 UTC 2005

Lee W wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Has anyone had any experience of using the Promise FastTrak SX4000 or
> SuperTrak SX6000 IDE RAID Controllers under Centos  (if it matters I'm
> using version 4). I've seen it listed on linuxcompatible.org as
> working but would prefer to find out any first-hand experince before I
> buy.
>
> I'm looking to build a new mini server based on Mini-ITX and have
> found a great 1U case that support upto 4 IDE drives.  It would be
> good to muck around with hardware RAID.
>
> If not, can anyone suggest another make of RAID Controller that will
> support upto 4 IDE RAIDS (preferably with support for RAID 5). And is
> also available in the UK.

I don't have any experience with the Promise card, but I can highly
recommend any recent vintage 3Ware RAID card.  They're not terribly
expensive and the new 9500 4 port cards should be tiny enough to easily
fit in a mini-ITX case.  That card plus 4 400gig drives would give you a
4 disk RAID 5 array (with very good read/write performance) and well
over a terabyte of usable storage.  It wasn't long ago that a 10gig
drive was as big as a shoebox and now you can fit over a terabyte of
redundant storage and a fairly powerful computer in the same form
factor.  We live in interesting times.

Cheers,