[CentOS] Re: CentOS Digest, Vol 4, Issue 10

Lance Lucas

centos at mantle.g-status.com
Tue May 10 19:17:29 UTC 2005

 >Message: 55
 >Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:01:56 +0800
 >From: Mark Quitoriano <markquitoriano at gmail.com>
 >Subject: Re: [CentOS] bind and caching-nameserver

 >well that's my problem with bind. once i cut myself to the internet i
 >can't resolve all domain. i did this as a test i ping google.com first
 >while i am connected to the net and then i disconnect my cable and try
 >to ping it again but it can't resolve google.com anymore, my
 >resolve.conf is "nameserver 127.0.0.1", and i don't know how to
 >configure bind to cache domain's ip addressess at least 1 day or so.

This seems like normal behavior to me.  If by "cut myself to the
internet", you mean physical disconnection (or all ports blocked), then
how would ping receive a reply from google.com?  You may be able to make
DNS lookup requests, with dig or nslookup, but ping requires an actual
connection to the address being queried, which it seems to be
disconnected for you (dialup?).

Lance Lucas