[CentOS] Software RAID on Centos 4 - new issue

Nigel Kendrick support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk
Wed May 11 14:24:38 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Aleksandar Milivojevic
Sent: 11 May 2005 15:11
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Software RAID on Centos 4 - new issue

BTW, shouldn't MegaRAID cards be hardware RAID?  If you configure RAID
in card's BIOS, instead of using software RAID, does it than work correctly?

Thanks for the comments.

I tried setting up RAID 1 via the BIOS, but two drives were still presented
to Linux. I tried 'ignoring' one of the drives and setting up Linux to use
only one, but there were no signs of any hardware RAID sync taking place.
Maybe this is a cut-down implementation as it's on the motherboard? It would
be nice to get the MegaRAID interface going as the I/O performance from the
ITE card is not as good. I had a look around the 'net via Google and
couldn't find many useful docs on MegaRAID setup, but there do not seem to
be many options to change in any case.

The Megaraid interfaces seem to crash during the hardware detection phase of
the boot process and so perhaps some probing is crashing them - if I setup
RAID post-boot everything's fine.

I might revisit this issue later, but I need to test this server over the
next few days with a 'go live' of mid next week and I've spent 2 days just
playing with the disk settings.

Nigel