[CentOS] SATA RAID on CentOS!

Aleksandar Milivojevic

amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed May 11 20:24:54 UTC 2005

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:
> I want to install CentOS 4.0 on  my new server (two SATA hdds, Intel 865
> mainboard), now, I want to configure a RAID 1 using this hardware..., my
> question is:
>
> 1. Setting up a RAID 1 on SATA hdds is different from a normal hdds
> (PATA)?
> 2. Is there some SATA RAID Linux Howto available?

I believe Intel 865 uses ICH5?  If so, it is a sofware RAID emulation in
BIOS.  You do not have RAID in hardware.  It's just a marketing trick
that has nothing to do with reality.  Special device drivers would be
needed to use it (and you'd end up with sofware RAID using them anyhow).
  Just disable RAID support in BIOS, and configure standard Linux
software RAID (/dev/md* devices) as you would do with any other
normal/standard IDE/SCSI/SATA setup.

If you really insist to pretend that you have RAID in hardware (and
since you don't have it, you can only pretend), there's some support in
device mapper for it.  Not still ready for prime time, but works in some
cases.  Basically, there's an utility that reads out this fake RAID
information from BIOS, and configures device mapper to handle it
properly (which is exactly the same thing "RAID" device driver for
Windows you got with the motherboard is doing).

For more info, check:

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html