[CentOS] Re: centos] Hewlett Packard Server support packs

Wed May 11 23:59:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 09:46 +1000, John Newbigin wrote:
> I am pretty sure that they are shell scripts and they are looking for
> strings in /etc/redhat-release
>
> Can someone with RHEL post a real /etc/redhat-release for us too look at.
>
> IMHO, CentOS should provide a RedHat looking redhat-release and a centos
> specific centos-release.
>
> John.

Red Hat, Inc. is not at all happy with CentOS providing a RedHat
looking /etc/redhat-release.  I wanted to do that, but I was told that
would be a big no-no :(

I also thought about (and tested) 2 lines (a RHEL one and a CentOS
one) ... that also didn't look good to the legal world ... sorry.

Things we could do (and get away with) in CentOS-2 and CentOS-3 are
drawing the attention of the upstream provider in CentOS-4.  I guess a
two week turn around got their attention on release :)