[CentOS] CentOS affiliation

Thu May 12 22:38:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 08:35 -0700, Robert Hanson wrote:

> -}Just for the record ... The CentOS Project is no longer affiliated with
> -}the cAos foundation.
>
> what does that mean to us? good or bad or?
>
>  - rh

Doesn't matter at all concerning CentOS releases, updates, developers,
etc.  This has been the case for almost 2 months (since March 20th) ...
you will notice that CentOS is no longer listed on the www.caosity.org
site.  See the first post on the announce list:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2005-March/000001.html

The CentOS Project is operating as it was from a technology standpoint.
As you can see by the speed of our updates and the speed with which we
released our 4.0 distro, CentOS has never been stronger.

There were issues of size required for the mirrors, who controls what
servers, who makes decisions on which items are in the tree, when will
certain point releases be retired, etc.  We (the CentOS Project) felt
that CentOS user's best interests would be served if Lance Davis were
running the CentOS show.

The issues with the upstream provider and how to respond:

http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=66

were just the last in many issues where decisions for the project were
being made without what we considered enough input from the developers.
So, CentOS and the cAos foundation have gone in different directions.

The innovations that you currently see happening in CentOS (a desktop
type kernel, single CD installers, CentOSPlus items that are integrated
tightly with the base distro) will continue for those who want these
innovations ... but remove the extras, contrib, centosplus repositories
and CentOS will still be a rock solid Enterprise rebuild that is
completely free, released as soon as humanly possible, rapidly updated,
and technically compatible {down to the same bugs :)} with the upstream
product.

The short answer ... you will notice no impact :)