[CentOS] About strongs passwords!

Shawn M. Jones smj at littleprojects.org
Fri May 13 00:10:40 UTC 2005

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:

>List, It's amazing the soon the messages on this list are answered, I am
>glad and I want to thank you all for that...
>
>Here is my question, I have a DataBase CentOS server working with about
>150 users connected via ssh, so I want to set up for all users strongs
>passwords, I mean, 8 or more caracters, with ,.;* , ect....... Is there
>some option, bash command which do that?
>
>Is there some HOWto, tutorial, rules about securing, monitoring users
>with access to the bash shell? (They login via ssh).
>
>Regards,
>
>Israel Garcia

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but PAM has several
plugins that might help with this. These libraries enhance the
authentication system to do all kinds of things.

Check out the PAM HOWTO here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html

If you want to enforce strong passwords with dictionary checking,
minimal password lengths, certain numbers/types of characters, look at
pam_cracklib.

Good luck!

--Shawn