[CentOS] Mini-centOS

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Fri May 13 11:57:58 UTC 2005

kenkensmile at netscape.net wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>Yes, you are exactly right. My notebook has a slow video hardware(8MB).
>Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade memory up to 512MB,
>because 256MB is the maximum capacity.
>I have also found an article that MS is making a new OS for old computers,
>so I just simply thought I would like to have a mini-centOS.

Well, then the best you can do (as others have suggested) is to trim
some of the bloated components you're running.  Openoffice is a PIG in
terms of resources consumed.  So is gnome.  If you can reduce the memory
footprint of some of your apps, you should be fine.  The kernel itself
and most of the "required" system tools actually have a rather small
footprint.

Cheers,