[CentOS] firstboot? CentOS 3.4

Ken Godee

ken at perfect-image.com
Fri May 13 18:01:24 UTC 2005

What's the best way around "firstboot" ?

"firstboot" hung my machine and had to blown it up to get past it.

If you bypass firstboot, what other config settings is one missing?

I found the following info....

# Booting without Internet Connection / Stuck on RedHat Registration
during First Bootup

This problem is caused by a package called firstboot. This package runs
during the first boot of the machine to do some additional
configurations that require your input. While most of these
configuration tasks do not require a network connection, the
Registration section does. The following steps will turn off firstboot:

    1. Reboot your machine
    2. When the grub screen displays, hightlight the line to boot RedHat
Enterprise and type "e"
    3. Next Hightlight the line that starts with kernel type "e"
    4. Add " -s" to the end of the line and press <Enter> key.
    5. Type "b"
    6. Once the machine finishes booting you should have a root shell
prompt that looks like sh-2.05#
    7. At the shell prompt, type: chkconfig --del firstboot
    8. Finally, type shutdown -r now which will reboot your machine

While at the console prompt should one also just uninstall
the rhn-applet rpm as well?

Maybe I missed some notes somewhere on this or just shouldn't
worry about it and just bomb around it??????

I also noticed right after installing and logging in level 5
that it seemed that after choosing to log out, that it wouldn't
log out. There appeared to be the rhn-applet running in the
background holding things up.

Maybe I'm just hallucinating, I've installed 3.x several times
now and don't remember running into this, or have forgotten.