[CentOS] KPPP: why root?

Mark Weaver

mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Wed May 18 12:10:57 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I'm wondering about something that seems a bit odd. I've setup a CentOS
4 box for a client that is "still" using dial-up and to activate the
connection appears to require root privileges. Why is this?

The reason Linux was loaded on this box was to provide a very functional
box that could be easily locked down so when the cat was away the mice
couldn't play, however, if the mice need root access to activate the
dial-up connection this really defeats the purpose.

Whats up with Kppp needing root access?

thanks,

Mark