[CentOS] Installing CentOS on RAID PATA not SATA - A8V

Bogdan Nicolescu bo2k2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 03:23:32 UTC 2005

--- Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
> Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
>
> >If you want just ATA/SATA support of single drives,
> that will work.
> >The RAID functionality will never work, because it
> is 100% software-based
> >(the 16-bit BIOS setup is just for boot-time).
> >
> >I call this "FRAID" and it is not hardware RAID (it
> adds *0* hardware).
> >Any drivers will be proprietary and not open
> source, because they
> >contain RAID code licensed from a 3rd party that is
> not GPL (and
> >never will be, because it is the core IP of that
> 3rd party and the
> >lifeblood of their business).
> >

> Be very 'FRAID.  8-)  If it was me, I'd figure out
> how to get the drives
> recognized as plain old ATA drives and then use the
> software RAID
> striping native to Linux rather than depend on the
> promise card to do
> anything other than act as an ATA controller.  I
> think the likelihood of
> roaching the volume while depending on the promise
> software RAID bandaid
> is probably rather high for no performance payoff
> whatsoever.
>
> Cheers,

My first attempt at RAID...

Tried a different distribution with the latest kernel,
and indeed the PTA drives on the Promise controller
were recognized but they were recognized as two
separate drives while the controller was in RAID mode
(rather than IDE mode).

Are you saying that even if the drives are recognized,
I will not be able to implement RAID in hardware mode?

Any other options installing CenOS 4 on unsupported hd
controller besides:

a. install CentOS 4 while drive in recognized hd
controller

b. get new kernel

c. compile/install new kernel (without pulling my hair
out)

d. move drives to unsupported hd controller

e. set controller to IDE mode

f. boot using new kernel (while praying)

g. do software RAID

TIA
Bogdan