[CentOS] web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap problems

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Thu May 19 14:07:39 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 08:52:56AM -0500, Marc Powell enlightened us:
> > perl -MCPAN -e shell
> >

> > (but using CPAN to update perl will break things)
>
> I use CPAN all the time and haven't had any problems. Are you saying
> this because yum/rpm wouldn't know they were installed? Can you expand
> on your concerns?

That's one issue, the other is if there is ever a perl upgrade upstream,
you'll have to figure out what modules were installed via CPAN and rebuild
them. Admittedly that's not a huge problem, since upgrades to perl don't
happen that often.

There are a couple of CPAN->RPM type programs out there. They're not
perfect, but at least you can keep track of things in the RPM database that
way.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak