[CentOS] Microphone problems with Skype

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Mon May 23 15:14:24 UTC 2005

Adrian Coman wrote:
> Unfortunately thi micrphone volume is at the max and the problems are
> still there ... :(
> Other ideas?

No. I have the same problem although I am running Fedora Core 2.

I tried using another soundcard, a Creative one. No joy.

It has something to with Linux and the VIA chipset (my sound subsystem
is a C-Media solution) and there are quite a few problems under Linux
for a variety of hardware in their interactive with the VIA chipset.

My advice is to avoid VIA chipset motherboards. The thing works in
Windows due to 'tuned' drivers. Unfortunately, it does not appear that
that kind of thing is going to happen in the Linux side of things. Maybe
the latest offerings from VIA are better but I don't know.