[CentOS] migrating from rhel 3 to centos 3

Mon May 23 22:41:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 1:17 pm, Michael Thon said:
> Greetings - I have a rhel 3 server that I want to migrate to centos.
> The FAQ:
> http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=19
>
> pretty much tells me what I need to do but what is going to happen when
> I run yum update?  Will it replace every RPM on my system with its
> centos counterpart or will it only upgrade RPMS as new versions are
> released? This is a production system and I'm trying to figure out what
> apps will potentially be affected by the migration.
>
> Also, should I uninstall the up2date package when I'm done?

It will only upgrade the packages that are newer ... and the ones we have
marked as .centos4 (which need to be changed due to bookmarks, trademarks,
logos, etc.)

Up2date works for CentOS upgrades as well ... just be sure to go to
/etc/sysconfig/rhn and replace any files that have .rpmnew files with the
.rpmnew files.

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>