[CentOS] How to properly install rsh without compromising system security

Michael Boman michael.boman at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:14:38 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For a project at work we are currently installing a distributed software
> development platform which has been developed years ago. All swell, of
> course, but the issue is that it depends on rsh for remote application
> invocation.
>
> Now... I have always been taught that rsh, rlogin and rexec are BAD and
> that one should really stick to SSH only.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have enough time to completely patch over the
> platform such that it will use SSH (and frankly, that's really a task
> the official developers should perform!), so, I'd like to temporarily
> enable rsh.

Or a quick work-around:

cd /usr/bin
mv rsh rsh.old
ln -s ssh rsh

They are command line compatible for exactly this reason, with some
restrictions. Quick google turned up this:
http://www.hn.edu.cn/book/NetWork/NetworkingBookshelf_2ndEd/ssh/ch04_05.htm

And please remember to distribute the ssh keys propperly so you don't
need to enter password all the time...

/Mike