[CentOS] Re: Official CentOS CD/DVD Vendor Program

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu May 26 17:50:44 UTC 2005

My $0.02 ...

From: Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>
> What's the point?

Awareness, partnerships, retail notoriety and most of all, a starting point
for now.  You have to start somewhere.

> I checked out linux cd mall.  They charge $12.50 for the CD set (or DVD)
> and CentOS makes ONE DOLLAR.  Unless you envision tens of thousands
> of people buying CDs, it hardly seems like a worthwhile endeavor

I can envision that volume per year.

> unless you're the CD distributor.

The CD distributor has the economies-of-scale in the fact that they already
have a built infrastructure, web front, relationships, etc... that CentOS can
tap.  For CentOS to build the same infrastructure, it would cost far more
per unit sold -- at least at, again, "a starting point for now."

> Why not just find a way to make it easier for people to donate directly
> to the project instead of creating a needless middleman who is taking
> 92% of the money for each CD/DVD set sold?

Again, costs involved are relevative here.

> Hell, for 92% of the profit,

No, that's 92% of the _revenue_, and _not_ the "profit" (sometimes I think
some Linux advocates need a refresher course in basic microeconomics ;-).
There are more costs involved than just CD duplication here.

> I'd be more than happy to sit at home and burn DVDs all day.

And take orders?  And handle shipping?  And resolve issues with the
site, customers, MC/VISA complaince on e-commerce, etc...?  You can
only do so much on your own before you need someone already doing it
who can do it for much cheaper.

> Where do I sign?  8-)

You sign next to "I will learn how the infrastructure and operational
costs of e-commerce works before I speak again."  ;->

More seriously now, does everyone have to question everything
around here?  You don't think the management hasn't thought of these
things?  Why does everyone seem to believe they know better than the
management who not only volunteers their time, but puts in the hours
to be productive, including all the "less fun stuff" in the logistics and
attention to detail?

More pertinent, if you make posts like this, that are only include 5% of
the actual details involved with doing such (and expose what can only
be termed ignorance of the other 95%), how seriously do you think
people can take your comments?  I didn't.  ;-ppp

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org