[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Fri May 27 03:26:11 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 06:52, Feizhou wrote:
>

>>Quit the cipe yapping already. The developer should really get his cipe
>>module into the mainline kernel.
>>
>>If you are really so miffed about no cipe, try this cipe source rpm for
>>centOS4.
>

> Thanks - as you probably know, the long-winded discussion isn't
> really about CIPE specifically so much as the philosophy behind
> bundling a few thousand things together and then trying to
> please anyone with a blanket policy about maintaining backwards
> compatibility vs bug fixes vs new features.  And while I
> realize that there may never be a good solution, I'll be really
> happy if some new options fall out of it, like this being
> included in a centos kernel-unsupported-something-or-other package.

If there was not a kernel-devel rpm, it would have been really tough to
get you a rpm that actually builds let alone work. I don't use cipe so I
don't know whether the thing actually works.

The developer really should try to get it like netfilter, that is, the
kernel module into the mainline kernel and the user space program
separately provided just as iptables is separately provided from the
kernel modules that make up netfilter.