[CentOS] Re: centos] Kickstart from FTP or USB

Lee W centos-list at unassemble.co.uk
Fri May 27 23:19:05 UTC 2005

R P Herrold wrote:

> On Fri, 27 May 2005, Lee W wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone has managed to do a network install where
>> the kickstart file is located either on an FTP site (which is also
>> where the packages are stored) or on a USB flash drive.
>

> general and complete doco, which I use a variant of for Centos daily at:
>
>    http://www.owlriver.com/tips/pxe-install/
>
> para 11.  s/http:/ftp:/ and you are in business

Thanks, an interesting article.  Although not really what I am looking for.

The official RH docs talk about the installer retrieving the location of
the config file via the "filename" attribute supplied  in the DHCP
request.  As I have router that gives out all my DHCP leases I am unable
to use this method.  I was really asking if there is a way to just
specify where the file is in a similar vain to ks=floppy (my machine is
an ITX box that doesn't have onboard FDD controller, so this is of no
use).  It just seems strange to me that a network boot cd is provided by
you are unable to specify a config file.

Hope none of that sounds like a moan, as that isn't how it was intended.

Regards

Lee