[CentOS] CentOS and SL, together?

Sat May 28 23:57:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 19:38 -0400, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:
> From: Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>
> > Referencing SL3 and CentOS 3 (as I haven't run SL4 as yet) there were some
> > scientific applications and some Java stuff, eclipse for one,
>
> You do understand the redistribution issues with Java, correct?
> It's a Sun problem (a typical thorn for Red Hat in general), not a Red Hat one.

Righto ... no JRE redistributes in CentOS ... that is not allowed :)

They also have mp3 stuff ... also not allowed :)

> > part of cluster suite for another, included.
> > Lessee,
> > https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/30x/features/ is the reference.
> > GFS, Eclipse, Cluster Suite, OpenAFS, ksh93, a set of 'tweak' RPMs (my
> > favorite being the serial console tweak RPM).
>
> Red Hat is pushing to get GFS in the stock kernel.
> They bought out Sistina for a reason, to keep it GPL.
> These things don't happen overnight.  ;->
> GFS was introduced as an add-on, and probably will until it
> is in the stock kernel -- Red Hat is trying to avoid heavily
> patching the kernel nowdays (for various reasons).

For CentOS-3.x  you can get GFS (and RH ClusterSuite) here:

http://bender.it.swin.edu.au/centos-3/

(there is no GFS/RHCS for RHEL-4 (or CentOS-4) yet)

> As far as OpenAFS, I assume you mean the server?
> Or you don't like Red Hat's included client in the kernel?
> As always, make a Bugzilla request if you want something.
>
> > For SL4, the doc is at
> > https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/4x/features/ and includes fewer
> > addons.  OpenAFS is the biggest of these, I guess.
>
> And I too have deployed OpenAFS.
> The server is 100% userspace, so it shouldn't be too difficult
> to get it included, at least in Fedora Core (possibly the next
> RHEL5).

OpenAFS:  I'll have to look at the license that it is released under ...
that might be able to be in Extras ... someone want to maintain it :)

> > Once the cluster suite and eclipse are available they probably will be rolled in.

When RHGFS / Eclipse / RHCS are released for RHEL-4 they will be
available for CentOS-4.

> > Pine also is in the SL dists.
>
> Pico/Pine also changed licenses awhile back and is considered "non-free."
> Nano replaced Pico, can't remember what replaced Pine.

Correct ... Pine is non-free license, won't be built for CentOS-4 :)