[CentOS] Re: CentOS and SL, together? -- attributing statements to me (that I didn't make)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon May 30 01:55:33 UTC 2005

From:  Dag Wieers
> Bryan, stop generalising and dramatising.

What dramatising?  At some point, several people decide that anything they dislike was said by me.
Several other people said far more negative comments about CIPE than  myself.
Those comments have now been attributed to me.
I purposely avoided making it about whether or not CIPE should or shouldn't not be included, just why it wasn't based on what I found.

I recognize 99% of the people on this list didn't do that.

> It's not you against the world.

Who said it wasn't.
But I regularly find that some people, even if only 1%, don't care about solving problems.
They want to complain, so I start trying to explain why.
Eventually these people don't stop, and others join my position.

And that's when these few people start taking anything said they disagreed with and attribute it to me.
There's plenty to dislike about me than to make up stuff.  ;->

> Much of the commotion is related to the manner you
>  communicate and interprete what people say,

But it doesn't excuse them for taking what _others_ said, even if it was defending my position, and saying I did.
So as I said, that's what I hate about these lists and such meta-discussions.
It totally results in making myself a focal point for things I didn't even say.

> regardless of some good points you make.
> Your above statement is a perfect example of that.

Agreed.  Sorry, it's just something I despise, because I have had some illegal things attributed to me on other lists by some, select people.

> BTW I'm not saying this to attack you, but to help you.

Why would I consider this an attack?
Despite what you might think, I don't think the list is against me.
I just know that all it takes is 1% of a list to start attributing all sorts of things to me.

> I tried being diplomatic in private and in public, but it did not help much.

I appreciate your continued professionalism.
In fact, I let this thread go for several hours, letting others respond.
Unfortunately, what those other said from a familiar position has now been attributed to me.
Sorry I got upset about it, but I'm still hearing about things I never said or did on other lists.

So I didn't want it to stand here.