[CentOS] repositories

Tue Nov 1 21:12:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 09:50 -0800, Steven Vishoot wrote:

> --- Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>
> > I think perhaps I missed something in some
> > discussions over the last
> > week or so..  I was reminded last night that the
> > repository for CentOS
> > 4.1 had been moved to "vault" .whatever ..  Is that
> > correct?  What
> > should I have in the
> > /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo ?
> >
> > For future reference, is there a document that gets
> > updated when the
> > base repository changes?
> >
> > Thanks..
> >
> > --
> > Snowman

> sam,
>
> if i remember right/know what you have in the yum conf
> is ok all they do is put a link to the new directory
> on centos and the mirrors so it will not break anyone
> yum  config files.
>
> Steven

This is correct ... you don't have to do anything.   The standard
CentOS-Base.repo points to:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/

(and updates, extras, addons, etc. for the other repos)

The $releasever is tied to the package centos-release ... but it always
stays at 3 for CentOS-3.x and 4 for CentOS-4.x

We always will point <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3/>  or
<http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/> to the latest tree for 3.x or 4.x
so that you do not have to do anything, other than use a default centos
update method {yum,up2date,apt}, and do and update ... then you have all
the latest updates.