[CentOS] grub booting from software raid problem

Jake Grimmett

jake.grimmett at nimr.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Nov 2 13:32:41 UTC 2005

Dear All,

I'm trying to install Centos 4.2 x86_64 on a new Opteron server, using a
software raid 1 boot partition.

Here is the appropriate section of my kickstart.cfg

#System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
#Clear the Master Boot Record
zerombr yes
#Partition clearing information
clearpart --all --initlabel
#Disk partitioning information
part raid.01 --size 50000 --asprimary --ondisk sda
part raid.02 --size 50000 --asprimary --ondisk sdb
raid / --level=1 --device=md0 --fstype ext3 raid.01 raid.02
######################################

Unfortunately, when the server completes the install and reboots I am stuck at
a GRUB prompt.

Typing the following at the grub prompt allows me to boot:

root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.ELsmp ro root=/dev/md0
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-22.ELsmp.img
boot

But, once booted grub-install fails:

grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda
/dev/md0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive

If I don't use software raid for the root partition, all works fine, but this
erodes the redundancy of my server...

Have I suddenly started doing something wrong, or is there a new bug out there
that needs whacking ?

I'd be grateful for your comments!

Jake
--