[CentOS] VPN via PPTP and MPPE

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:01:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 05:31, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> James B. Byrne  wrote on Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:53:36 -0500:
>
> > Thank you.  I found a fairly well written faq on what can go wrong
> > with vpn, which of course I cannot find at the moment.  The basic
> > problem with my setup as originally given is that VPNs cannot connect
> > over IPs belonging to the same netblock as the physical NICs.
>
> Just for the record, they *can* connect. But it won't change the routing.

It doesn't make any sense to change 'routing' when you are on the
same broadcast network with both addresses.  That is, the IP
handed back for the PPTP endpoint is going to have an address
within the same netmask as your ethernet card so there is no reason
to prefer it, and if it did, you would need an exception for the
source/destination of the tunnel (and at both ends...).

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com