[CentOS] A BIG Thank You

Robert roberth at abbacomm.net
Thu Nov 3 16:33:38 UTC 2005

SNIP

} I am just dedicated for the work i do. I do make it priority to handle
} security updates as those arrive. Same applies to quaterly updates. We
} can pretty much guess beforehand the week those arrive and i am already
} prepared to make those when those comes up.
}
} Usually i do have all the beta stage compiled and sorted out already
} and i just look what i need to compile and try to push out updates that
} i already have. This helps specially the s390(x) archs which are under
} emulator (== traclates to 48hish time to compile gcc again).
}
} I know other people are pretty committed to this too. Specially i know
} that Johnny too tends to 'just make time' to get quaterly updates out,
} which is why we usually only have 'only few days round trip time' for
} 4.x quaterly updates. Karanbir usually just 'is available' too when
} it's time to cruch something out.

SNIP

} --
} Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/

ummmmm because i have not specifically done what you folks are doing, maybe
you can give us some specific insights and time tables.

in general, how many hours does it take from start to finish to do whatever
it is that you do (gather/compile/whatever else etc) to finished product of
4 ISO's etc for downloading on the site???

i am wondering how much time could be saved per distribution if you had A
LOT faster hardware?

is it a small, medium, or large percentage of time that could be saved if we
as the CentOS community came up with A LOT faster hardware for the cause
etc...

i guess the bottom line is, how much "machine time" is there now per
platform and how much time can be saved if we were to try to pony up better,
faster, newer, whatever hardware?

please let us know and thanks

 - rh

--