[CentOS] Putting nat routing into place permanently? -- service iptables save

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 23:59:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 13:02 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 07:32, Peter Farrow wrote:
> > Rc.local is used explicitly for the running of scripts after the system
> > has booted.
> <snip>

> It's not the right place for things that need to be adjusted on
> runlevel changes, although it can be used as a quick fix for
> not having a proper init script.

Philosophically, I agree. *However*, we should keep in mind that the
original provision of that script was to keep local sysadmins (and
others) from having to monkey with the standard "supported" stuff. *If*
that purpose is *still* it's primary reason for being, then it is still
a *preferred* method if your POV is from a support aspect (that is, e.g.
RH supporting site admins).

From rom *that* POV, rc.local is *probably* more visible if changed as the
RH (e.g.) engineer will be expecting to find local changes in there and
(probably?) object to having local scripts injected into "his" directory
(s).

This is probably moot since the community overall disregards these
considerations unless they are spending money for support.