[CentOS] A BIG Thank You

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Fri Nov 4 16:51:25 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 07:26:33AM -0800, Robert wrote:

> one thing i was specifically getting at in terms of machine processing speed
> was this.....
>
> if machines for your _local_ use _were_ to be donated to the cause that
> would help decrease your compilation and other machine processing time
> factors.... umm what would you need compared to what you have now in and for
> the various architectures?

As i said before, the machine speeds ATM isn't much of issue. Issues
are sadly with the bandwith for distributing.

I don't even have to take bets on this when i say i am sure that Johnny
and Lancelan has been spending more time on keeping the distribution up
past three weeks that what it did take time to cruch up the 3.6/4.2
releases. Making some new script that are able of monitoring the status
of external mirrors etc. to get some kind of picture where it goes
wrong.

> i know there are folks out there that should and can afford to donate bigger
> better processors, i/o backplanes, and storage devices to the cause

I'd be willing to receive FibreChannel connected box which would eat
SATA-disks any day ,-)

Actually most of 'would be neat to have availbale to be able to solve
better problems hardware' would for me be something else than CPU.

> to me every little bit helps to an extent and so why not take advantage of
> it if possible?

Network bandwith? :P

I do believe that we were pretty good covered on torren-side last time.
I do have my own little feeder and after the initial rush, i didn't
actually feed anymore on full 10Mbit/s, as there were so many fast feeds
covering up the new downloads, so big thaks for whom ever those are.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/