[CentOS] Sendmail

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Sun Nov 6 16:41:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:31 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Sam Drinkard wrote on Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:22:02 -0500:

> AFAIK, looking at my mc and m4 files the only thing you need to do is
> comment out FEATURE(`no_default_msa') if it is uncommented. You don't need
> any DaemonOptions at all if you want sendmail listen on standard ports 25
> and submission agent on 587. However, if you use at least *one*
> DeamonOptions line your override that all and have to explicitly set
> one-by-one.
>
> Kai

Hello Kai,

    I completely missed that line in the .mc file.  Sure enough,
commenting out the submission port and commenting out the no default MTA
worked.  I still think there should be something somewhere in the
installation guide to reflect the fact that sendmail as packaged does
not listen on any port except the loopback.  Really, it's rather dumb to
me, that having a MTA that does not listen on port 25 out of the box.
Why even bother starting the sendmail daemon at all if it's not going to
be useable for inbound mail?  Perhaps someone up the road has different
thoughts than I, or perhaps it's because there are lots of people who
don't like sendmail due to the complexity of the sendmail.cf.  Either
way, it's now working as it should..

Many Thanks

Sam