[CentOS] SCSI cards -- 3Ware Escalade 9550SX (9500S+PowerPC400)

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Nov 7 01:16:29 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>>Does anyone know if it works with the regular 3ware kernel sata driver
>>or does it require a driver disk during installation?
>>From what I can tell, it can use the existing "3w-9xxx" driver.  But you
> should definitely build the new 9.3.0.1 release (as well as upgrade the
> 3DM2 release) to support the added capabilities of the added PowerPC.

The built in (into 2.6.9-22.EL ) 3w-9xxx drivers work with :
0x13c2 0x1001 and  0x1002  boards but the 9550sx shows up as :

0x13c1  0x1003  "3w-9xxx"       "3Ware 9500 series Storage Controller"

grab the latest drivers from their website, build and use. works fine.

I have a driver disc image for anaconda that works with the CentOS4 way
of doing things ( you need a differnet install time and run time kernel
module ). If anyone is interested, let me know offlist. I'll err *cough*
*cough* help out.

Reason why I am not posting it online anywhere :

"You may not make or distribute copies of the AMCC Product, or
electronically transfer the software from one computer to another over a
network."

( thanks to Jim Perrin,  #centos @ irc.freenode.net for finding this gem
of a distribution license )

- K